All 71 SARCAN Recycling depots are paint collection sites under the Saskatchewan Paint Recycling Program (SPRP). This program is managed by Product Care, a non-profit association created by paint manufacturers, distributors and retailers. Product Care’s paint recycling programs are funded by eco fees paid upon the purchase of new paint.
Where can you take leftover paint?
Paint can be dropped off without charge at any of SARCAN's depot locations across the province.
What is accepted?
- Paint containers must be fully sealed (unless empty), labeled, and not significantly damaged.
- SARCAN accepts empty paint cans.
Accepted Paint Products:
- Household Paint
- Interior and Exterior: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, enamel, and oil-based paints
- Varnishes and urethanes (single component)
- Barn, fence, and porch paints
- Concrete paints
- Deck and floor paints (including Elastomeric)
- Drywall paints
- Driveway (non-tar based) paints and sealers
- Block fillers
- Stain blocking paints
- Wood finishing oils and stains
- Rust paint
- Stucco paint
- Paints for metal
- Wood and masonry water repellants
- Marine paint (containing no pesticides)
- Non-catalyzed and non-nitrocellulose lacquers
- All aerosols
- Empty paint cans
Rejected Paint Products:
Due to safety concerns, paint containers will be rejected if they are:
- Significantly damaged, leaking, or bulging
- Containing foreign objects
- In non-paint containers (like glass jars or plastic food containers)
- Larger than 20 litres
SARCAN will also not accept the following paint products:
- Industrial paints
- Non-aerosol automotive paints
- Non-aerosol craft paints
- Traffic marking paint
- Two-part/component paints and catalyzed or nitrocellulose based paints
- Paint or wood preservatives containing pesticides (e.g. creosote)
- Tar-based products
- Deck cleaners
- Thinners, mineral spirits, or solvents
- Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues, or adhesives
- Roof patch, tars, or grease
- Colourants or tints
- Fibreglass resins
- Brushes, rags, and rollers
- Other household chemicals
Trade Painters and Bulk Returns
Customers may bring in up to 25 one-gallon paint containers and up to 50 aerosol paint containers at one time without making an appointment.
Trade painters and other bulk paint customers may drop off more than this, but it must be by appointment only. Please contact the depot in your community by phone to book an appointment.
- In Regina, please contact the Fleury Street depot.
- In Saskatoon, please contact the North depot (Faithfull Avenue).
- In Prince Albert, please contact the Main depot (North Industrial Drive)
All SARCAN depots have a supply of reusable paint on hand that is available to the public. Reusing unwanted paint is a cost-effective and energy-efficient alternative to recycling paint.
This paint is free of charge, but customers must sign a waiver form before removing it from the depot. This paint is not inspected and cannot be guaranteed.
For More Information
For more information on the program and eco fees, or for exact definitions of the products accepted, visit www.productcare.org or call 1-888-772-9772.